Association Liability Insurance for your Organisation
To be involved on a committee of an Association can be both rewarding and challenging. Often, the work is unpaid in honourable capacity. We need to remember that by making decisions on behalf of others, you are potentially putting yourself at risk.
Types of Associations and non Profit Organisations
- Community service organisations – Child care, aged accommodation, disability services, youth services, residential care, non-residential care
- Health organisations – Non-profit hospitals, nursing homes, health agencies, health and research interest groups
- Education organisations – Preschools, schools, universities, research groups, parent associations, university unions
- Human service organisations – Welfare, housing, community transport, employment services
- Religious organisations – Community services, facilitation of worship & control content of belief/practices of the members of their particular religion
- Philanthropic organisations – Trustees of charitable trusts, volunteer referral services, fundraising intermediary, grant-making charitable trust
- Arts and culture organisations – libraries, museums, art galleries, parks & gardens, performing arts, film and video production, radio and television production
- Sport and recreation organisations – sporting clubs, social clubs, and recreation/hobby groups
- Environmental interest groups – Labour groups, peak bodies, unions, business, and professional interest groups
- Other organisations – Business services, books and publishing, emergency services, defence force groups, health funds.
What is an Association or Non-Profit Organisation
An Association or Non-Profit Organisation (ANP) is generally an entity set up.
- Not to make a profit.
- For a specific purpose or objective such as serving the interest of their members or the public
- As foundations, co-operatives, church auspices, aboriginal corporations, under Royal Charter, or trust deed.
- As an income tax-exempt organisation
- As an incorporated entity under a state Association Incorporation Act
Who is Covered under Association Liability insurance
- The Insured Association or other organisation as named
- Any committee established to conduct the activities or business of the Association
- Any Insured Person including
- Past, present or future directors, officer, trustee, committee member or employee
- Anyone acting on behalf of the ANP at the direction of an officer or board of directors or committee
- The estate, heirs, legal representatives or assigns of any deceased, incompetent or insolvent insured person
- A voluntary worker who was under the direct control and supervision of the Insured at the time of the act
What are some features found in Association Liability policy
Depending upon your choice of cover, you can obtain features such as
- Professional Indemnity Cover
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Association Entity Cover
- Continuous Cover
- Unintentional Breach of Confidentiality
- Unintentional Defamation
- Loss of or Damage to Documents
- Employment Practices Cover
- Attendance at Official Investigations or Inquiries
- Defence costs for Breach of Occupational Health and Safety Laws
- Indemnifiable Fines & Penalties Cover
To assist you in understanding exposures in being on a committee we provide some actual Association Liability insurance claim examples.
To obtain a quote for Association Liability insurance, please complete our online form. We will contact you to discuss the cover and provide cost options for your Association Liability insurance.